Miss Universe Owner Shares Frustrations and Considers Selling the Pageant Amid Ongoing Issues
Credit :
Efren Landaos/Sipa via AP; Mohan Raj/Getty
NEED TO KNOW
- Miss Universe Organization president and owner Raul Rocha has addressed his plans for the pageant’s future amid ongoing controversy.
- The Mexican businessman acquired the international beauty pageant in January 2024.
- This year’s Miss Universe competition made headlines globally, culminating in the event held in Bangkok, Thailand, on Nov. 21.
President Raul Rocha has announced he is looking to sell his stake in the Miss Universe Organization following weeks of controversy surrounding the pageant.
On Nov. 24, Rocha discussed the ongoing situation with Mexican journalist Adela Micha. During the interview, conducted in Spanish, he clarified his position as the president and 50 percent shareholder of Miss Universe, addressing recent allegations of misconduct against the organization.
“I’m looking for someone to pass it on to,” he said, comparing the transition to a relay race. “Who do I pass the baton to?”

Jaime Nogales/Medios y Media/Getty
Rocha expressed his frustration, stating, “I’m so fed up with all the talk. I don’t lend myself to that kind of thing.” He lamented that as “the owner, the proprietor, the president,” he feels inundated with opinions on business decisions and management.
He remarked, “Everyone wants to tell you what decisions you make, how you make them, and why you hire or fire people.” Rocha did not respond to requests for further comment.
The Miss Universe Organization has faced intense scrutiny after musician Omar Harfouch’s resignation from the selection committee on Nov. 18. Harfouch claimed that a jury had been pre-selected to choose 30 finalists before the competition, raising questions about the integrity of the selection process.
The pageant quickly refuted Harfouch’s allegations. Following his announcement, former soccer player Claude Makélélé also withdrew from judging the competition, citing personal reasons, and the committee president, Princess Camilla di Borbone delle Due Sicilie, subsequently resigned as well.

Mohan Raj/Getty
The Miss Universe organization garnered attention on Nov. 4 when a livestream captured a confrontation between pageant executive Nawat Itsaragrisil and contestant Fátima Bosch, who later went on to win the title. In response, Rocha implemented multiple sanctions against Itsaragrisil, barring him from future events.
After Harfouch’s resignation, an anonymous contestant shared her heartbreak regarding the alleged pre-selection of finalists, stating, “So many contestants have sacrificed their personal lives, left their jobs, and spent a year preparing for this moment.”
“We did this because we believed in the integrity of this organization and the mission they told us they stood for,” she added, expressing gratitude for Harfouch’s willingness to speak out.
